We’ve been through the era of desktop computing with a Windows PC. More and more, people want to use mobile devices to access personal and business data. The new era of mobile computing is firmly established.
Just like old farm machinery that’s no longer fit for purpose, many farm software packages which have been around for the last 10 to 15 years are also starting to look that way.
Here are 10 reasons why cloud is better for farms than a traditional Windows program.
- There’s no software install All the data entry screens and reports run on a central “server” computer are accessed through a standard Web browsing program like Windows Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. So there’s no software to install, configure and maintain – it all “just works”
- There are no data backups to perform All your data is securely stored on a central “server” computer, that is itself backed up several times over. The chances of losing your valuable farm data are, for practical purposes, virtually zero.
- Software updates are automatic New features are deployed to the Server and are instantly available – that means as soon as you login. There are no downloads and setup files to worry about.
- New functions can be added more quickly Because the software is deployed and run on the central Server computer, new features and minor updates can be added more quickly than with traditional locally installed software since there are no individual files or CDs to distribute.
- You can access your data on many types of computer and device A Cloud software system is independent of a particular type of computer and operating system because everything is delivered through a Web browsing program. This means that the software will look and feel the same on Windows PC, Apple Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android phone or Tablet. This gives you freedom to use the hardware of your choice
- Multiple users can access at the same time from any location All users access the same database in the Cloud. This means that data integrity is always maintained as there is only one editable set of data. The Cloud database can also handle multiple updates from different users at the same time; this is especially important when several mobile devices are in use.
- You can collaborate with trusted advisers and stakeholders in real-timeFor example, if you’re working with your vet to improve dairy or suckler herd fertility, you can give him/her access to your account as a separate user. There’s no software for your vet to install and learn – simple access quick reports with standard fertility performance indicators
- You can transfer data seamlessly to other systems and organisations BCMS, recording agencies, vet systems and abattoirs – the list of data integrations is growing all the time. Many of these organisations are investing in Cloud technologies to transfer data seamlessly over the Internet. This means less time in the office for you doing manual data entry work. You will also benefit from more timely advice and information from these oganisations and advisers.
- Easier benchmarking for groups of farm enterprises With data in the cloud, farmers groups or the clients of one consultant/adviser can start to benchmark their individual farms, so that each business can get an indication of it’s performance relative to others.
- Future proof At the end of the day, it’s all about recording farm data quickly and accurately and getting value from it over time. Data in the cloud can be migrated to the latest information systems more easily than data stored in older Windows programs. Employing the latest software technologies ultimately benefits the individual farm business in terms of productivity and management information.
So there you have it 10 reasons why Cloud is better for farms. If you have further questions regarding your farm’s suitability for cloud computing, perhaps you need assistance implementing the cloud based FarmWizard software then please contact our technical support on 01536 443300 or email email@example.com
Tel: 01536 443300 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org