Entering/Amending Animal IDs
Recording Animals Born on Holding
New calves born on the holding are added to the FarmWizard Herd Register by recording a Birth (Calving) event for the dam. This requires the Breed Cycle Manager, which provides functions to manage the cow breeding calendar.
Recording a Birth event on FarmWizard causes the following to be updated in your herd records:
- The cow is moved to the “pre-heat” breed status and it’s breeding history updated
- The calf is enrolled on your herd list and optionally, the passport application request is made to the Government database (a reportable event)
- The FarmWizard Herd Register records the calf birth event
If you have downloaded your available ear tags from the CTS, simply pick the required tag from the list. Otherwise, type in the full ear tag number – “UK” followed by 12 digits.
Entering Single Animal Purchases
To record the purchase of a single animal, perform the following steps. This will add the ID to the Herd Register in FarmWizard and give you the option to report the “On” movement to the Government database (BCMS/APHIS).
- Hover your mouse pointer over the Herd Manager main menu and click on Add Animal under the Herd Manager sub-menu
- A new data form will be loaded. Complete the mandatory data items (see below) and any optional data
- If you want to report the “On” movement to BCMS or APHIS, tick the Record Movement box
- Check the details are correct and then click Register New Purchase to save the new animal ID.
Mandatory data items
- Ear Tag – this is the full government identity number
- Colour (Northern Ireland and Ireland)
- The source premises where the animal was purchased/collected. If the name of the required holding is not in the list, select “Other, enter value >” from the drop down list and type the name of the new source premises into the text box to the right
- Date of Birth
- Herd Join Date – the date of the “On” movement
Optional data items
- If you use management tags, enter this number in the Freeze Brand box
- If you are performance recording, enter the Purchase Weight and optionally, the Purchase Price
Entering Animals in a Batch
There are several ways to enter purchased animals into your FarmWizard herd account as a batch.
Scanning the bar code on the cattle passports
The quickest and most accurate method is to use a bar code reader to scan the bar code at the bottom on the cattle passport document. This bar code contains the following information:
- Government ear tag number
- Date of birth
To scan a batch of passports into your FarmWizard account, proceed as follows
- Group the passport documents by supplier and arrival date. This will form a single scanning batch
- Go the Herd Manager main menu and click Scan Passports under the BCMS Interface sub menu
- Check that the Movement Type is set to “On”
- Select the source premises that the animals originated from. If the premises name is not in the list, select “Other, enter value >” in the drop down and type the new name into the text box to the right
- If you want to record additional animal details, tick Record Price/Weight/Sire and optionally enter default values for Batch Number (for your own internal farm system), Haulage Cost and Price. These default values will be applied to each animal record in the purchase details grid.
- Set the Movement Date as the date that the animals moved onto your holding
- If you want to notify the movements to the Government database, tick the Record with BCMS/APHIS box
- Click your mouse pointer within the large Scanned Animals text box so that the cursor is flashing
- Scan the bar code at the bottom of each BCMS passport document. The detail from each passport will display as a single line within the text box. You can scan up to 100 passports in one batch
- Click the the Record Movement button. If have ticked the box to record additional animal details, a data grid will display with one row for each animal scanned (shown below). The available details are management tag number (FB), Sire name, Price, Weight, Entry Grade, an internal farm Batch Number and Haulage Cost (use the default value set in Step 5)
Note: these details can be entered or amended later if required. If you do not tick the box to record additional animal details, the new animal IDs will be directly saved to your FarmWizard account
- If you do not tick the box to record additional animal details, the new animal IDs will be directly saved to your FarmWizard account
- If you have chosen to enter additional animal data and have entered this information, click Record Movement. This will save all the animal details into your FarmWizard account.
- After saving a scanned batch of passports with the Register option ticked, the list of “On” movements will display as pending on the Registrations screen under Herd Management > BCMS Interface. You can now leave the system to notify automatically the next day, or you can click the Register Outstanding Moves Now button to send the movements immediately
Be sure to log into your FarmWizard account within a day of sending the movement to check that all the information has been accepted by the Government database. You can view a list of previously registered events by clicking List Registered Events under Herd Manager > BCMS Interface > Registrations
Maintaining the Herd Register on FarmWizard Dairy Uploading from a CSV data file
It is possible to upload new animals via a comma separated value file (CSV). A CSV file can easily be created from a spreadsheet where animal identities are stored one per row with the columns containing a single piece of data about the animal e.g. ear tag, date of birth, breed, etc. To save a spreadsheet (e.g. Microsoft Excel .xls or xlsx) go to File > Save As… in the spreadsheet software and select the CSV file type
The order of the columns on the spreadsheet must conform to the Full Animal List import schema under the Herd Manager main menu. To import the data proceed as follows:
- Go to the Herd Manager main menu and click on the Data Import sub menu
- Check that the order of the columns in your CSV file match the column order for the Full Animal List import type. The mandatory data columns are as follows (and are marked with an asterisk on the FarmWizard screen)
Official Ear Tag, Date of Birth, Herd Join Date, Govt Breed Code, Sex (M/F)
- Select the Full Animal List import type
- Browse to the location for the CSV file on your computer and click Import Selected Data to run the import
- The system will show a list the successfully imported animal identities
Amending Animal Details
If you need to amend one or more animal identity records after it has been saved, follow one of these methods:
Amending a single animal record
1.Go to the Herd Manager main menu and click on Herd List. Search or scroll to locate the required ear tag number
2.Click on the ear tag number in the list and then click on the Update Animal Details button to the right of the screen
3.You will now be able to edit the record, however you will be required to enter an update reason before the changes can be saved
Amending multiple animal records as a batch
It is also possible to amend animal identity records as a batch. This can be useful if you need to retrospectively enter management tag numbers for a group of animals.
- Go to the Herd Manager main menu and click on Batch Manager
- Using manual selection or filtering, define the list of animals that you wish to amend
- Click the Click to Record Event button
- On the following screen, click the Batch Update button
- On the following screen, the details for each animal will be represented by a group of text boxes and drop down boxes. Edit the records as required for one or more animals
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click the Update Animals button to save the changes
Selling Single Animals
To sell a single animal proceed as follows:
- Go to Herd Manager > List Herd. Use one of the following search methods or scroll through the herd list to locate the required animal
Scroll through the list and single left click on the required animal identity to display its details search by management tag number. Type a double quote (“) before the number to search for an exact match search by Government ID number. Type a double quote for an exact match or enter the last few digits for a partial match. All matching tags will be displayed in the grid list below when you click Search
- The search results may return one or more animal identities. Click on the required ear tag number in the list. The selected animal’s details will display to right side of the screen.
- Click the Sale button and complete the sale detail on the following screen The mandatory data items are the Date of the “Off” movement and the sestination premises. If the destination premises is not in the drop down list, select “Other, enter value >” and enter the new premises name in the text box to the right.
- If you wish to report the “Off” movement to BCMS/APHIS, tick the Register box.
- You can optionally create an invoice for the sale details
- Click Record Sale. The animal’s status will changed to “Sold” and the movement set as pending notification to BCMS/APHIS
Tip: If you need to inspect the details of a previously sold animal, go to Herd Manager > List Herd and tick the “Inc moved off animals” box and then use one of the search functions. The animal details will display with the date of sale
Selling Animals in a Batch
To sell a batch of animals, proceed as follows:
- Go to the Herd Manager main menu and click on Batch Manager
- Define the list of animals to be sold by typing in a list of animal IDs, applying a filter or selecting from the main list box
- Click the Record Event button and then the Batch Sale button
- Complete the detail of the sale and tick the Register box if you want to report the “Off” movements to BCMS/APHIS
Note: If you are notifying the movements to BCMS/APHIS, you should log back into your FarmWizard account within 24 hours to check that the movement records have been validated and accepted by the Government database.
Maintaining the Herd Register on FarmWizard Dairy – Recording Animal Deaths
When an animal dies on the holding, the Farm Wizard Herd Register should be updated and the Death movement can optionally be reported to the BCMS. The Batch Manager can also be used to record animal deaths
To record a single animal death event:
- Go to the Herd Manager main menu and click List Herd
- Search or scroll to locate the required animal.
- Click on it’s ear tag in the list to display it’s details to the right of the screen
- Click the Death button and complete the date of death, the disposal premises and the reason
- If you want FarmWizard to report the Death movement to the BCMS/APHIS, tick the Register box
- Click Record Death
Note: at the present time, cattle passports should still be returned to the BCMS in addition to the electronic notification