If you herd does not carry out authenticated milk recording, your FarmWizard cloud account will be loaded with your “cattle on holding” list from the Government database (BCMS/APHIS). In order to start managing the breeding calendar in FarmWizard, you will need to complete the set up and data update tasks in the list below:
FarmWizard Dairy Start Up Check List for Non-Milk Recorded Herds
In order to start using FarmWizard to maintain the cow breeding calendar and Herd Register, you will need to complete a few checks and set up tasks as follows:
- Add cows and breeding heifers to the Breed Cycle Manager
- Amend the BCM Settings appropriate for your herd
- Check AI Sires currently in use and add any that are missing
- Amend or enter any live breeding bulls
- If you intend to record medicine treatments, add your current medicine stock items
- Optional: If you are registered to notify reportable events to the Government database (BCMS/APHIS), run the Difference Report to check there are no discrepancies
- Optional: If you want to register calf passports directly from FarmWizard, it is a good idea to download your available (un-used) ear tags from the Government database. Download the tags in FarmWizard via the Herd Manager > Add Tags screen.
Note: this functionality requires your Government Gateway log in details to be stored within your FarmWizard account. These details are stored securely and are not visible on any of the user screens. Please contact the FarmWizard Service Desk for further assistance.